Sometimes I think the Clean Bin Project is just turning into a big DIY project.
Last week we celebrated Grant’s niece’s second birthday, and I decided to make our gift using what we had around the house.
Grant and I copied an idea I saw at a craft fair a couple years ago and made a princess-themed growth chart. I sewed a princess cape and crown out of scrap material to go with it.
We got the wood for the growth chart from the seemingly limitless pile beside our house (our landlords are renovating upstairs) and cut out the shapes with my Dad’s borrowed scroll saw. We painted it with paint we had in our ‘arts and crafts’ stash.
I do have a bag of random cloth in my sewing stuff, but I must admit that most of the costume material actually came from scraps that my mom had. They just looked much more princess-y than what I had around, so thanks Mom!
Full disclosure here – we had intended it to be a Christmas gift, but we were too slow, so now (8weeks later) it ended up being a birthday gift. It’s ok – she’s only two – she won’t remember opening it anyway.
All and all, we were quite proud of the results. Hopefully the outfit will last the birthday girl for quite a few years and we can slowly add to her dress-up collection. I don’t have a photo of the little princess wearing her crown, but Grant did give it a go to make sure it worked before we wrapped it up, and he gave it the a-ok.